Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Paper Crafting World Challenge

Here is a card I made for the Paper Crafting World  digi challenge. I used one of Melin's cupcake digi files. I colored it with colored pencils and used mineral spirits to blend the colors. As I have said before, I am not very good at coloring techniques. I added lots of glitter to distract from the coloring...LOL. Anyway, The cool thing about this card is that it is a gate fold card. Most gate fold cards have two panels that open from the middle out. This one is made where the top of the cupcake opens up and the bottom of the cupcake opens down.
To make this card, I printed out the digi image so that the main part of the cupcake would fit on a A2 card (4.25 by 5.5). Then I  colored (or at least attempted to color) it, and cut it out.
I cut a card base 11 by 4.25. Then I placed the card base and my digi image on the score board. I centered the image and scored the card base so that most of the cupcake would fit on the card and the candle would stick up a little over the top of the card.
Next, I cut between the top of the cupcake and the wrapper. I made sure the top and bottom pieces would fit on the two outside flaps of the card then taped them down. I made sure the 2 pieces would match up when the card was folded.

I always add a liner to the inside of my cards. This makes them sturdier and gives them a more finished look.  I trim the liner a quarter inch smaller than the card base on all 4 sides (4 in by 5.25in)
Because a liner on this gate fold card is a little tricky to score and line up, I center the liner on the card base and mark the score lines on what will eventually be the back of my liner.


For the last step, I put tape on the back of the liner, fold in the flaps and put the center of the liner on top of the center of the card base.

Then fold the flaps in to finish adhering the liner.
Hope this all made sense.
Come on over to Paper Crafting World and join in on the challenge.

1 comment: