Saturday, December 3, 2011

How great my joy





I had so much fun making these cute little penguins. I made 7 styles of penguin cut files. Two of them are included in this project. I recently bought more Distress Inks and wanted to try them out. I have also been watching videos on different techniques with these inks. So I cut all the shapes out of white cardstock and went to town coloring.


I used Black Soot for the bodies and eyes and Wild Honey and Rusty Hinge for the feet and beaks. Then I used Festive Berries (one of the new seasonal colors for winter) on the Santa hat, the top layer of Joy and the top layer of the holly berries. Next I stamped with the same color onto the Joy caption. I used Fired Brick on the back layers. I like that it is just a little darker.

Shabby shutters is the color on the top layer of holly leaves and Peeled Paint on the back layers.


For the white parts of the Santa hat I edged them with Pumice Stone and then Weathered Wood then misted them with Glimmer mist to soften the color and add some shimmer. Then when they were dry I embossed them with swirls.




For the blue headphones. I heat embossed them with silver then applied Faded Jeans.



Now for my favorite part. For the green headphones, I inked Shabby Shutters on with the blending tool then embossed with a Sizzix folder. I took the Peeled paint and rubbed it directly onto the raised embossed parts. Then I went around the edges with the Peeled Paint and the blending tool.




I really like that look! I will defiantly be using this technique a lot. 


Well, I hope you enjoyed seeing this as much as I enjoyed making them and sharing the info.
I am not sure I am ready to try Tim Holtz's Christmas tags yet, but I will certainly be playing around with the techniques. 

4 comments:

Gail said...

OMH! those are adorable! I love that they are your new banner :) They so deserve it :)

Jean said...

Oh my goodness, these are the cutest penguins ever!!

Cheryl First said...

These are so very cute, Jani!

Lisa said...

Jani, these penguins are FABULOUS!! Wow, you did an amazing job with the distress inks! They are my favorite...so many fun colors! I absolutely LOVE this!! :)

Lisa
indymermaid.blogspot.com